Afternoon tea is of course a ski holiday institution! After an exhilarating day on the slopes, you simply can’t beat returning to your chalet’s roaring fire and afternoon tea.
Our chefs pride themselves on the homemade cakes they make every day, so we thought we would challenge them to a Meriski Bake Off!
Over the last few weeks they have been entering their amazing creations and, to be honest, it’s been a tough job having to judge!
But one cake totally won us over, and the winner is…
Georgi in Chalet Bellevue’s Oreo, Strawberry & Chocolate Cake
Here is her recipe if you would like to try it:
For the cake:
250g self raising flour
250g light brown soft sugar
250g dark chocolate
For the filling and topping:
154g pack of Oreo cookies
400g Strawberries, chopped
3-400g sifted icing sugar
Few drops vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat your oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Grease and line 2 x 20cm sandwich tins.
- Mix the flour, sugar and cocoa together.
- Melt the chocolate and butter and 200 ml water together over a low heat and then beat this, along with the eggs, into the dry ingredients.
- Pour into the two sandwich tins and bake for approximately 40 minutes, until well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire racks and allow to cool.
- While the cake is cooling, make the buttercream.
- Beat the butter until creamy, then add 300g of the icing sugar and vanilla.
- Mix well. You may find the mixture a bit dry - if so, add a tablespoon of milk at a time. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more icing sugar.
- Blitz half of the cookies in a food processor and then mix the cookie crumbs into the buttercream.
- Spread some of the butter icing between the two cakes, add half of the chopped strawberries and then put the two cakes on top of each other.
- Now cover the whole cake in Oreo icing.
- With the remaining Oreos and strawberries decorate the top of the cake, and enjoy!